A short walking distance from Muralto you’ll find Locarno, characterised by its fascinating Mediterranean vegetation. In the heart of this town is the Piazza Grande, famous for its annual cinematographic festival.
Close to the historic centre stands the fortification of the Visconteo Castle, dating from the twelfth century, of which a fifth is still in its original condition.
There are many activities and excursions throughout the year, from a boat trip on Lake Maggiore to a round of golf on the green at Ascona; there is a wide choice :
- Santuary of the Madonna del Sasso – A pilgrimage church with a fantastic view of the town of Locarno, the lake and the mountains
- Summit Cardada-Cimetta – the cable car designed by the famous architect Mario Botta transports visitors to a paradise for hiking, skiing and sledging on the slopes above Locarno;
- Historic centre with the Visconteo Castle – the picturesque old town behind the Piazza Grande to the medieval castle which houses an archaeological museum
- Lake Maggiore – swimming, water sports and trips on the lake such as the Brissago Islands
- The new Lido at Locarno is a unique oasis for leisure, sport and wellness. Open all year round, it’s the most modern and best equipped in Ticino
- Market in Piazza Grande at Locarno – every Thursday from 9am to 5pm